TVEL Fuel Company consolidates the manufactured assets along the whole process chain of nuclear fuel production, and also controls strong scientific complex. Continuous development and accumulated competences in the nuclear industry ensure both improvement of fuel properties and creation of new hightechnology businesses
TVEL Fuel Company comprises three complexes for type-specific production of the front end nuclear fuel cycle, and scientific and design assets.
The plans on production and sales of nuclear products and services in the reporting year have been fulfilled to the full extent, which ensures compliance with all contractual commitments of the Company to Russian and foreign customers and contributes to improvement of the Company image of the reliable and responsible supplier.
Competencies of enterprises of TVEL Fuel Company
SEPARATION-SUBLIMATION COMPLEX (SSC) COMPRISES A GROUP OF INTEGRATED PLANTS ENGAGED IN ENRICHMENT AND CONVERSION OF URANIUM
In 2018 the plan of SSC enterprises for production of enriched uranium products and achievement of the set capacity utilization factor was accomplished to the full extent.
- 5 sections of gas centrifuges of the 9th generation 9+ were commissioned at UEIP JSC.
- commissioning of 5 sections of the unit No. 62 at UEIP JSC;
- commissioning of the unit No.1 and 4 sections of the unit No.2 at PA ECP JSC.
PA ECP JSC
NUCLEAR FUEL FABRICATION COMPLEX (NFFC) IS A GROUP OF SUBSIDIARY INDUSTRIAL ENTERPRISES THAT MANUFACTURE NUCLEAR FUEL FOR VARIOUS REACTORS
In 2018, the plan of NFFC enterprises for production of nuclear fuel was implemented in full.
The planned volume of the manufactured fuel products for the year 2019 is determined in accordance with preliminary orders made by consumers based on the plans of primary charging and recharging.
- production of initial loading fuel for VVER-1200 reactor of the unit No.1 of Belarusian NPP by NCCP PJSC;
- production of startup zone TVS-1200 for power unit 2 of Novovoronezh NPP-2 by NCCP PJSC;
- qualification of zirconium components production by the American customer at ChMP JSC;
- production and delivery by MSZ PJSC to the Czech customer of new type fuel TVSA-T mod.2 for Temelin NPP;
- delivery of 12 TVS-2M with new anti-debris filter (ADF-2) for Rostov NPP;
- completion of new site construction for uranium dioxide powder production using recovery pyrohydrolysis at VPGU-600 plant at MSZ PJSC.
- production and delivery to the customer of initial loading fuel for the Unit 2 of Belarusian NPP;
- delivery of TVS-MOX for BN-800 reactor.
Machine-Building Plant (MSZ PJSC)
Novosibirsk Chemical Concentrates Plant (NCCP PJSC)
Chepetsky Mechanical Plant (ChMP JSC)
Moscow Polymetal Plant (MZP JSC)
MSZ PJSC WILL START PRODUCTION OF NUCLEAR FUEL FOR NUCLEAR-POWERED ICEBREAKERS
The enterprise will manufacture nuclear fuel for ship power plant of the icebreakers “Iamal” and “Sibir”, and will start manufacture of fuel assemblies for general-purpose nuclear-powered icebreaker “Ural” (underconstruction). Structure of ice-breakers under the current project provides for the most advanced reactor facility “RITM-200” that is comprised of two reactors with thermal capacity 175 MW each one.
In April 2018 the core for the ice-breaker “Iamal” manufactured by MSZ JSC passed successfully the neutronics tests.
NCCP PJSC MANUFACTURED TWO EXPERIMENTAL FUEL ASSEMBLIES WITH ACCIDENT-TOLERANT FUEL FOR REACTORS VVER AND PWR
Experimental fuel assemblies consist of fuel elements with four different combinations of constructional materials of cladding and fuel matrix. Fuel pellets are made both with conventional uranium dioxide and with uraniummolybdenum alloy with increased density and heat conduction. Claddings of fuel elements are made of zirconium alloy with chromium plate and chromenickel alloy.
Pilot samples of the Russian accident-tolerant fuel passed factory and acceptance tests on the part of the sectoral commission and were shipped to Dimitrovgrad of the Ulianovsk region. In the nearest future they will be loaded to research reactor MIR at Research Institute of Atomic Reactors SRC for reactor researches.
GAS CENTRIFUGE COMPLEX (GCC) IS A GROUP OF SUBSIDIARY INDUSTRIAL ENTERPRISES PRODUCING GAS CENTRIFUGES (GC) AND ACCESSORIES FOR ENTERPRISES OF THE SEPARATIONSUBLIMATION COMPLEX
Plans for batch production of GC-9, GC-9+ and pilot batches of new advanced GC were implemented to the full extent. Batch production of the advanced GC remains the medium-term objective.
- attainment of the required cost price of GS at KMZ PJSC;
- at KMZ PJSC – completion of works aimed at concentration of production of gas centrifuges in one production building No.2;
- commissioning of the first commercial section of the upgraded gas centrifuge of 9+ generation. In total 5 sections of GC9+ were commissioned in 2018. Performance efficiency of the upgraded gas centrifuge is considerably superior to its previous version, and its production cost is lower;
- commissioning of commercial GC9+ at UEIP JSC (3 sections of the unit 61 and 3 sections of the unit 62).
- preparation to production of the advanced GC;
- follow-on works on cost improvement of GC production.
SPA Centrotech LLC
DEVELOPMENT OF NEW GCS
R&D were completed in 2018; and in the fourth quarter Centrotech SPA LLC started series production of specialpurpose gas centrifuges for production of isotopes of chemical elements of light and mean atomic weight - carbon, argon, krypton, xenon, silicon, selenium, sulfur.
Gas centrifuge that was developed based on series-produced 9+ generation gas centrifuge is vastly superior to current equipment in terms of technical and engineering parameters.
First batch of new centrifuges was manufactured for PA ECP JSC - the key enterprises of Rosatom Fuel Division as regards production of stable isotopes, and the world largest manufacturer on the market.
RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING COMPLEX REPRESENTS THE GROUP OF SUBSIDIARIES THAT INTEGRATE THE ACTIVITY IN THE FIELD OF IMPROVEMENT OF NUCLEAR PRODUCTION AND DECISIONS INTO THE SPHERES OF NON-NUCLEAR PRODUCTS
For detailed information on TVEL Fuel Company performance in the field of research and engineering works please refer to the Intellectual Capital.
Tochmash VPA JSC
Based on the competences of nuclear production development TVEL Fuel Company addresses the priority task set by Rosatom State Corporation to the enterprises of nuclear industry: development of non-nuclear businesses.
It is also important that new products manufactured at the newly established productions must be in demand on out-ofthe- industry markets, new for TVEL Fuel Company, outside the limits of nuclear fuel cycle. This is ensured due to application of modern and efficient technologies obtained owing to successful work in the traditional nuclear field.
New businesses generate additional proceeds, and consequently additional budget revenue that may be allocated to address different issues in the regions of presence of TVEL Fuel Company.
Objectives aimed at strengthening of the Company positions on new markets require rapid growth of scientific and technical potential, which in turn implies need for improvement of R&D, projects, production, economy, promotions and sales management systems. Efforts are being made to adapt the management systems to second business core development objects.
Second business core development supposes increase of share from non-nuclear products in total revenue of TVEL Fuel Company by 2030 (at least RUB 150 bln). These are challenging plans that require concentration of resources.
Main efforts in the second business core development are connected with expansion of market presence of non-nuclear products, implementation of investment projects, transactions on acquisition of equity in companies with the required competences and potential for development. The works are on-going to create the management systems for non-nuclear businesses development.
Establishment of new high-technology businesses makes it possible to address the variety of interlinked issues. New technologies in nuclear production offer significant advantages to TVEL Fuel Company in technological process, contributing in particular to increase in equipment capacity, rise of automation degree. This results in reduction of workforce requirements at nuclear production. Development of new non-nuclear businesses is a real opportunity to employ personnel dismissed due to optimization of main nuclear production and to ensure social stability in the regions of presence
In 2017, the works started to bring out the most challenging and large-scale activity to integrators - independent legal entities.
THE PURPOSE OF THE INTEGRATORS IS TO CONCENTRATE RESOURCES ON DEVELOPMENT OF MARKETABLE AND EFFICIENT KEY-ACTIVITY SPECIFIC BUSINESSES.
Currently there are two industry integrators.
Cathode Materials LLC - branch integrator for “Energy storage systems based on chemical cells” direction.
Product strategy of the integrator was approved in 2018.
Core achievements of the main activity of the integrator:
- elaboration and production of the prototype of energy storage system for passenger transport, tests with the customer with confirmation of the stated specifications;
- in 2019 – coordination of series delivery of the energy storage systems for passenger e-transport.
STATIONARY ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS
- start of production and delivery of energy storage systems for operating DC voltage systems, including to the out-of-the-industry customers.
- first commercial supplies of Li-ion energy storage systems. Installation of new equipment on the insite e-transport of VMZ JSC;
- new conclusions from Russian manufacturers of interfactory e-transport concerning possibility of application of the manufactured Li-ion storage systems.
RusAT LLC - branch integrator for “Additive technologies” direction.
Core achievements of the main activity of the integrator:
SALES AND MARKETING
- formation of pre-order portfolio;
- increase of the company awareness on the market due to competent application of marketing and PR-tools;
- conclusion of 20 agreements on cooperation with the market majors.
- elaboration of design documentation for commercial 3D-printer RusAT 300, completion of working out of design documentation for commercial printer 600, production of two SKD sets “Printer-300” at Centrotech SPA LLC site;
- development of software for print file preparing which is notable for open architecture that enables to set the precise characteristics of print parameters and to optimize the technology for certain products;
- development of the project of engineering additive center, FEED and purchase of equipment;
- development of the project of additive center for commercial production of medical implants NiI JSC;
- coordination of printers working out for NiI JSC, UEIP JSC, RPA CNIITMASH JSC;
- formation of the team of the leading developers of Russia for creation of modular software “Virtual 3D-printer” based on Logos software;
- formation of the team on issues relating to commercial production of powders at the enterprises of TVEL Fuel Company.
- coordination of liaison protocol of the integrator with enterprises within the management system of TVEL Fuel Company;
- coordination of cooperation chains of enterprises within TVEL Fuel Company for development of competences related to additive technologies inside the industry.
SCOPE OF APPLICATION
FACTORS FOR DEVELOPMENT IN 2018
Titanium metallurgy (full range titanium production)
Seamless titanium tubes, ingots, forgings, rods, wire
Different engineering industries: aircraft engineering, shipbuilding, engine-building, etc., medicine
Russian Federation, Germany
Electric Power, Machine Building, Medicine, Metallurgy
Russian Federation, Great Britain
Russian Federation, Estonia, Kazakhsta, Norway, France, Latvia, Belgium, Sweden.
Calcium injection wire
Nickel filtering elements, powders
Centrotech SPA LLC
Superconductive materials and superwire
Electric Power, Medicine, Transportation, Telecommunications Systems
High-strength nanocomposite superwire
Research and Production Enterprise “Nanoelectro” LLC
Production of stable isotopes
Production of 107 isotopes of 21 chemical elements: Ar, W, Ge, Fe, Ir, Cd, Si, Kr, Xe, Mo, Ni, Sn, Os, Pb, Se, S, Te,C, Zn, B, Cr
PA ECP JSC
Industries, Medicine Research of new generation elementary particles properties, Agriculture, Metrology research in geology, biology, oceanology, etc.
RF, foreign countries
Lithium and lithium-based products
Lithium hydroxide-7, lithium metal, lithium chloride
Transportation, Electric Power, Metallurgy, Aircraft, Industries, Telecommunications Systems
RF, foreign countries
Materials for Li-Ion cells
Electrolyte fluid for lithium batteries, lithium tetrafluoroborate
Extra pure anhydrous fluorine hydrogen
ECP JSC, SGChE JSC
Nuclear, oil-producing and chemical industry
Car electrical equipment
Tochmash VPA JSC
Electric Power, Industries, Transportation
Static frequency converters
Centrotech SPA LLC
Electric Power, Industries
Dosimeters, radiation meters
Printed circuit boards
Equipment for NFC
Ball- and screw-type plugs
Tochmash VPA JSC
Units and components for gas centrifuges
Mining industry equipment
Centrotech SPA LLC
Geological exploration, mining and processing of minerals
Metal SLM 3D-printers
Centrotech SPA LLC
Space industry, Machine building, Medicine
3D-printing powders under SLM, SLS and EBM technologies
Centrotech SPA LLC, ChMP JSC, VNIINM JSC
Energy storage devices
Accumulators and generators, fuel elements
Lithium-ion energy storage systems, electrochemical power sources on solid fuel cells
Centrotech SPA LLC, Katodnye Materialy (Cathode Materials) LLC
Interfactory/passenger/special-purpose transport, Electric power, Telecommunications systems
NEW BUSINESSES DEVELOPMENT MILESTONES 2018
New products and technologies:
- for the first time in the word PA ECP JSC has developed and implemented the process flow of gas centrifuge nickel enrichment in radioisotope 63Ni: production of the pilot batch of the products with enrichment more than 69%. The product was shipped to the customer - FSUE MCP;
- PA ECP JSC produced and delivered a new product - chrome 50Сr isotope for scientific research in the field of neutrino physics;
- more than 20 thousand of disks of iridium 191Ir isotope have been produced and delivered to the Customers. It is planned to increase the scope of delivery in the following years;
- ChMP JSC commissioned the facility for production of new product - iodide hafnium, mastered the industrial output of hafnium oxide and metallurgical powder tantalum; improved technology and produced pilot batches of highpurity hafnium tetrachloride for semi-conductor industry;
- printing of first sample-demonstrators using multipowder metal 3D-printer of UEIP JSC that was created with cofunding of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation and Rosatom State Corporation;
- the integrator RusAT LLC developed the range of new 3D-printers with plot area 300*300*300;
- NCCP PJSC commissioned the facility for integrated decontamination of lithium hydroxide-7 solution with the finished product manufacturing;
- ChMP JSC successfully completed first pilot testing of the advanced filler of injection wire for liquid steel processing, new filler was elaborated as an alternative to silicocalcium;
- commencement of works on systematic introduction at the industry enterprises of new type energy storage devices;
- start of delivery of energy storage systems for interfactory transport and indoor application to outer of Rosatom markets;
- elaboration and production of the prototype of energy storage system for passenger transport, tests with the customer, and confirmation of the stated specifications with passenger e-transport on the intracity lines;
- Ecoalliance LLC elaborated technology and completed, preproduction of automotive catalysts systems intended to comply with Euro-6c environmental standard. Start of delivery of catalysts units for “pilot” and series assemblies of AURUS motor vehicles.
- ChMP JSC concluded contracts for delivery of large runs of calcium injection wire with the leading Russian manufacturers of steel and rolled steel Severstal PJSC and MMK PJSC;
- increase in scope of delivery of titanium products for the European market within the framework of the contract with Hermith GmbH. Commercial production at ChMP JSC facilities of more than 40 new listed titanium products that are in demand by foreign consumers;
- NCCP PJSC concluded contracts with new customers, that rank among the key world manufacturers of hi-tech lithium products, for delivery of battery lithium metal to France, Korea and to the American market;
- conclusion of three-year international contract with the German company Nukem Isotopes GmbH for delivery of Germanium 72Ge, which is used in semiconductor industry for microcircuit production;
- PA ECP JSC made final delivery of polycrystalline silicon 28Si under the international project “Kilogram-3” for creation of new generation mass standard and determination of the fundamental physical constant “the Avogadro constant”;
- Centrotech SPA LLC concluded contract with major manufacturer of electric transport for serial supply of the sets of energy storage system for passenger e-transport;
- large run of Molybdenum 100Мо isotope was delivered for international scientific project “AMoRE” for research of neutrino properties. In 2019 supplies of this isotope will continue.
- Agreement on scientific and technical cooperation in the field of additive technologies was signed between RusAT LLC and German company Oerlikon AM Gmbh within the forum “ATOMEXPO 2018”;
- RusAT LLC and VIAM FGUP (All-Russian Institute of Aviation Materials Federal State Unitary Enterprise) signed the agreement on cooperation in the sphere of elaboration of the Russian additive equipment to form the complete cycle of the parts manufacturing based on the unified principles;
- Within the V International Forum NDEXPO 2018 RusAT LLC concluded mutual cooperation agreement with 3D Systems - the company-manufacturer of 3D-printers and the Center of Additive Technologies of Rostec State Corporation.
TVEL Fuel Company has always been concerned with special approaches to production and management processes in order to implement the strategic goals of Rosatom with regard to the orders portfolio expansion, to maintain efficient production under conditions of severe and ever-growing competition on the global markets.
Rosatom Production System (RPS) is the culture of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement of processes aimed to reveal and reduce all losses in production and business processes, and to ensure competitive advantage on a global scale.
Continuation of implementation of the Program for operation efficiency increase in order to attain the strategic goals of Rosatom State Corporation and TVEL Fuel Company in 2018. In order to deal with primary objectives on cost saving all enterprises selected main products flows where the main goals are as follows: reduction in the lead time and in the volume of work in progress, increase in efficiency and quality of the products.
Starting from 2015, Rosatom State Corporation applies the system-based approach to deploy RPS at the pilot enterprises of the industry. The enterprise within the system deployment of RPS receives the status of RPS-enterprise subject to certain performance indicators. According to the concept of development, all RPS-enterprises implement the integrated package of RPS-arrangements, and are subdivided as follows: RPS Leader, RPS Candidate, RPS Reserve.
% of objective fulfilment in 2018
Brief of arrangements/projects aimed at cost saving, RUB bln. (on an accrual basis)
Brief of arrangements/projects aimed at inventory reduction, RUB bln. (on an accrual basis)
Brief of arrangements/projects aimed at reduction in labor intensity of the process staff, %
PT Reduction by key products, % (on an accrual basis)
Level of objectives fulfilment of the development strategy of the products flow of the enterprises, %
The integrated package of RPS arrangements provides for:
- setting clear objectives to the employees to the level of small group leaders based on scope definition of the enterprise, division, sector;
- RPS methodology training of the managers of the enterprises, participants of the projects, site training;
- development of the product flows of the enterprises, creation of RPS-patterns of the flows;
- implementation of RPS projects in office and at production site under a single methodology;
- incentive and development programs for different level employees;
- development of enterprises-suppliers;
- development of RPS-engineering at construction facilities.
In 2018,7 enterprises of TVEL Fuel Company renewed their RPS-Leader status — MSZ JSC, UEIP JSC, KMZ PJSC, SGChE JSC, PA ECP JSC, ChMP JSC, NCCP PJSC, and 1 enterprise AECC JSC — received RPS Leader status.
Project group for optimization of through product flows
Customer relationship in zirconium products delivery chain
TVEL Fuel Company has introduced and implements the Integrated Management System, that applies to all enterprises and includes corporate system of quality management, environmental management, health care and occupational safety quality management, and energy management.
Elaboration and introduction of standards for effective operation of the Integrated Management System based on requirements of international standards ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 50001:2011, BS OHSAS 18001:2007, IAEA requirements, and requirements of the customers.
The main strategic goal of the Company in this sphere is continuous improvement of the product quality and operational safety aimed at maximum compliance with the customers’ requirements, that allows to expand the markets, ensure sustainable growth of subsidiary companies. The set of measures and procedures focused on effective operation of the quality management system has been elaborated and introduced in this connection; customer feedback is maintained to develop and improve the activity of TVEL Fuel Company; customers’ satisfaction assessment is carried out on an annual basis.
TVEL JSC and its subsidiaries introduced safety culture as the component of the corporate quality management system in accordance with international requirements and standards of IAEA. External evaluation and development of actions aimed at improvement of the safety culture
Successful compliance assessment of the quality management system of TVEL JSC, MSZ PJSC, NCCP PJSC, ChMP JSC and VNIINM JSC with requirements of the American standard ASME NQA-1.
Arrangement and performance of audit of the quality management system of TVEL JSC and subcontractors on the part of the foreign partners and customers (USA, Finland, Turkey, Sweden, Czech Republic, Belarus, Hungary, Russia - Engineering Company ASE JSC). Positive reviews were received following the results of the audits, TVEL JSC was qualified as the supplier of nuclear fuel.
In 2016-2017 the set of actions was implemented for elaboration and updating of TVEL Fuel Company standards to provide compliance with requirements of the international standards ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, rev.2015. In 2018 following the results of the audit on the part of the international certification authority (TÜV Thüringen e.V.), the Integrated Management System of TVEL Fuel Company was approved to comply with requirements of the international standards ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 50001:2011, BS OHSAS 18001:2007 for the 3 subsequent years.
Number of nonconformities of products and component that were revealed by the Quality Control Department and representatives of the customer at manufacturing plants decreased (161 - in 2016, 10 - 2018).
Customers’ satisfaction assessment was carried out in the reporting period. Main customers that took part in the assessment:
- Hungary (MVM Paks NPP CJSC, Centre for Nuclear Research);
- Czech Republic (CHEZ a. s., ALTA a.s., Dukovany NPP, Temelin NPP);
- Slovakia (Slovenské elektrárne JS);
- Bulgaria (Kozloduy NPP);
- China (JNCP);
- Finland (Fortum Power and Heat Oy);
- Kazakhstan (Institute of Nuclear Physics);
- Ukraine (Institute for Nuclear Research (NASU) Ukraine);
- Korea (Institute for Nuclear Research);
- Turkey (Akkuyu NPP);
- Uzbekistan (Institute of Nuclear Physics).
The average index of the customers’ satisfaction level in 2018 was 4.80 points of 5 available (in 2017 - 4.49).
In 2018 inspections of Novovoronezh NPP, Smolensk NPP, Leningrad NPP were performed in cooperation with representatives of TVEL JSC, reports were made for all audits
In 2018 following the results of the audit by TÜV Thüringen e.V. (the international certification authority) the Integrated Management System of TVEL Fuel Company was approved to comply with requirements of the international standards ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 50001:2011, BS OHSAS 18001:2007 for the 3 subsequent years
Development of standards of TVEL Fuel Company that regulate activity in the sphere of risks management in the corporate management system of quality and environment in accordance with requirements of ISO 30001:2010 and provisions of Rosatom State Corporation. Current policies, standards and process maps of the Company were updated in compliance with risk-oriented governance model
There were no claims or complaints filed by the customers in 2018. No events of non-compliance with regulations and voluntary certification concerning impact of the products and services on health and safety were revealed